3…2…1…The countdown to the New Year is Getting Closer
Even though it has already been a few weeks since the fall semester has wrapped up at Osher, it seems like it was just yesterday. December is here and it’s time to wish all of our Osher members, faculty, and friends a happy holiday season and to thank you all for being part of a great year here at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Towson University. We’re looking forward to a jam-packed spring semester starting in March—catalogs are being mailed out later this month!—but before we get to that, we noticed that the January and February calendars are starting to fill up with some good stuff too.
Health & Well-Being Lectures to Start the New Year Off Right
Please join us for one or all of the FREE lectures or other events that we have scheduled this January and February around the theme of health and well-being.
All lectures will be in Room 101 at 7400 York Road, 10:30 a.m.—noon. Please let us know if you would like to attend any of the lectures or other events by contacting Shelby Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-704-3688 with your RSVP. Space is limited.
- On Monday, January 8, Robin Minor, PhD, returns to Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Towson University to present “A Jagged Pill: Dietary Supplement Regulation in the U.S.” to help older adults understand the risks associated with interactions between supplements and pharmaceuticals and to gain an insights about how to make safe choices regarding dietary supplements with awareness of the role of the FDA and the nature of different supplement companies.
- Julie Norin, AuD, will speak at Osher on Tuesday, February 6 on the topic “Hearing Loss: The Impact on Your Health and Quality of Life”, describing how early diagnosis of hearing loss provides a strong link to providing a positive impact on overall health including cardiovascular disease and cognitive decline. In this lecture, Dr. Norin will discuss new hearing aid technologies and the wide range of hearing health treatment options that are available today.
- Join fitness expert and educator, Christine V. Woods, MSEd, on Tuesday, February 13 to learn new ways to initiate healthier habits into your life. If you have ever broken your New Year’s resolution just a few days (or hours) into the year, this lecture is for you! Learn how to approach the process of setting up healthy and sustainable habits as she talks about “Making Lifestyle Changes that Last”.
- Our last winter lecture on Thursday, February 15 will help participants gain “An Overview of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias and Related Symptoms” from Stacey E. Young, MA, ACC/MC, director of lifestyle and dementia programs at Broadmead. Participants will learn what symptoms are associated with different types of dementia and will better understand successful interventions when caring for a person with dementia.
But Wait, There’s More!
At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I have to add that there are a few more freebies for our Osher members before the spring semester:
- Preview of Spring Classes—Thursday, January 18 at 1 p.m. at the Central Presbyterian Church, adjacent to 7400 York Road. Learn what’s in store for the spring semester as instructors give short presentations on their spring courses. Check-in and coffee at 12:15 p.m. No RSVP needed.
- “Exercise: The Golden Ticket to Living Well” Tuesday, January 23, 2–3 p.m. in Room 301 at 7400 York Road, Join Towson University’s Wellness Center own fitness expert and educator, Christine V. Woods, MSEd, as she leads an exercise class aimed at providing important strength training concepts for all ability levels. The music will be playing and the muscles will be working!
- In February (date to be announced), join us for a light lunch and free seminar on Wills, Probate, and Planning. Come learn important facts and will planning tips that we all need to know!
Happy Holidays and Join Us in 2018
We hope to see you for some of our lectures and other programs that we have planned in January and February. In the meantime, have a safe and happy holiday season!
If you are interested in membership in the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Towson University, head to our website and learn more about membership and tuition fees.